Search engine optimisation
Let’s face it. All websites need SEO. If a website isn’t optimised then new customers can’t ‘see’ it. And if your prospective customers can’t ‘see’ your site in their Google searches, then what’s the point of investing in a website?
Many of my prospective clients who contact me needing web content are confused by optimisation. And I don’t blame them. Even I find it difficult keeping up with the do’s and don’t’s of search engine optimisation.
Questions that I frequently get asked are:
- What is SEO?
- Does my website really need it?
- Where do I go to get it?
- How much does it cost?
- Is it important?
Yes, SEO is important
In fact, it’s extremely important. And every website needs it. Why? Christina Egan at Brittle Star SEO sums it up very well here. She explains that it’s the combination of awesome content, good website security, technical SEO and user experience that’s at the heart of a well optimised website.
Here are my top search engine optimisation tips:
- Get the optimisation right at the design stage of a website and save time, energy and money further down the line.
- It doesn’t have to cost a lot. It’s the technical SEO know-how combined with well-written web content that’s key to a website’s success.
- Think of your website’s creation as a successful three-way relationship between web designer, SEO techi expert (this could be your web designer or a specialised SEO expert) and web content writer. One doesn’t work without the other.
- It won’t happen overnight. Your website won’t climb to page 1 of Google (for your key word search terms) straightaway. Give it a few months at least, if not longer.
- Invest in a professional web content writer who understands about SEO.
And finally. Don’t forget…