My job is all about ‘words’ and making ‘words’ work in my role as Web Content Writer.
This week’s Word of the Week is ……. JUGGLING
I suddenly realised this week how important the word juggling is to me.
I spend most of my days juggling. Not in the physical sense of juggling balls, plates or sticks of fire But in the everyday sense of juggling tasks, projects, and activities.
Is a freelancer more atune to everyday juggling I ask myself? Probably not, as everyday life these days demands so much juggling from all of us. But, as freelancers, if we don’t juggle our projects, clients, and time efficiently, how can we keep enough work coming in to sustain our ways of living and balance of life?
Here’s what I’ve been juggling:
- Completing a powerpoint formatting project for a client based in the States
- Chasing a client (based in India) for confirmation of a quote
- Providing a quote for a new piece of work for a client based in the UK
- Practising Nia for at least an hour a day
- Listening to a new Nia routine in preparation for learning the routine
- Making family tree updates to www.gibbsfamilytree.co.uk
And in between recent days of travelling to the south coast to see my son, travelling to Oxfordshire to see my mum, and travelling to Staffordshire to …… vote!
Working freelance means that we are ‘free’ to organise and juggle the balance between our working and daily lives. And yet, are we, in fact ….. ‘free’? Are we any freer than our ’employed’ colleagues who have chosen to juggle the work/life balance in a more conventional way?
I quickly remind myself that juggling and working freelance suit me as I am a bit of a ‘free-spirit’ by nature. And, hey, at the end of the day, isn’t life really just one big juggling act?
What does juggling and working freelance mean to you?